On this Page
What are Validations?
DEEWR has developed a set of validation "rules". These rules are listed in the Data Validations section of this website. Some rules are very simple. Other rules are very complex, requiring data in one file to be checked for consistency with data in one or more other files.
The rules are of these types:
Checking that codes are valid.
This type of check makes sure that only valid codes are provided for a single data element in a single record. On each Data Element page, the codes that are valid for each element are listed. For example data for Element 315 (Gender code) can only be "M" or "F". For other elements, data must only be numeric. In some cases, data for an element cannot be spaces. In other cases, the specifications indicate that the data are to be in a particular range (e.g. between 22 and 34). Other types of rules are evident in the specifications.
Checking that codes for one element are consistent with codes for another element in the same record.
This type of check makes sure that data provided for two elements in a single record are consistent. For example, if a student is coded as an Australian citizen on one element, they cannot be coded as being a fee-paying overseas student on another element within the same record.
The validation rules are listed in the following section. For each rule the following data are provided:
- The validation number. This is simply a unique number identifying the rule (e.g. 1080).
- The error message that will be produced by HEPCAT and HEIMS. This is a short description of the nature of the rule violation.
- Whether the rule, if violated, involves a FATAL or a WARNING condition.
- The rule. This is a long description of the rule.
- The number of the element or elements to which the rule applies. These element numbers correspond with element numbers used for elements in the Data Element Dictionary.
- The file that contains the record for which data are being checked.
The following abbreviations are used;
HEP Student Files
- CO: Course of Study File
- CU: Unit of Study Completions File
- EN: Enrolment File
- LL: Load/Liability File
- PS: Past Course Completions File
- OS: OS-HELP File
- CS: Commonwealth Scholarship File
- DU: HELP Due File
- PO: Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form File
- SR: Revisions File
- CM: Campus File
HEP Staff Files
- FT: Full-time and Fractional Full-time File
- CA: Actual Casual File
- EC: Estimated Casual File
VET Student Files
- VCO: VET Course of Study File
- VCU: VET Unit of Study Completions File
- VEN: VET Student Enrolment File
- VLL & VRL: VET Student Load Liability File and Revised VET Student Load Liability
- VCC: VET Course Completions File
- VDU: VET Commonwealth Assisted Students - HELP Due File
- VPO: VET Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form
- VSR: VET Student Revisions File
Applications and Offers Files
- AD: Application Details File
- OD: Offers Details File
- PD: Preference Details File